Friday, January 25, 2008

Isla Files 1.22 and 1.24

Isla Files 1.22
We went in to town today with a couple of objectives. Steve has some secret things to do for my birthday, I am going to try to get in touch with Arturo or Omar via the internet and also contact Avalino in Akumal to see if we can line up some cenote diving when Susan and Joe are here. I asked Adrian about salon services in town. He directed me to Casa Luz, a new spa on Ave. Juarez. I made an appointment for the next day just to check it out. I figure that it will be a good diversion if the weather is nasty while we have visitors. I also need to take the Spanish/English dictionary back to Manana Café to see if they will buy it back. I paid 80 pesos for it (a 1977 model) and they are happy to buy it back for 40 pesos. I wonder how many times they have bought and sold the same dictionary?
One of the few travel agencies on the island is next door to Manana. We find out that we can travel to Cuba, all papers, ground transportation, 2 nights lodging, and 2 breakfast for $329 US. Cuba is only about a 20 minute flight from Cancun so this might be something to think about.
Isla Files 1.24
Today is my birthday. I can hardly believe that I am 55 years old! Steve has been doing secret errands, so I am curious about what lies in store for me today!
We went diving this morning. The man that owns Indio’s wanted $10.00 apiece for us to be picked up from his pier. Constantino has arranged for our pick up at Casa O’s pier. That means a walk of about 300 meters up the road and then down a very steep driveway carrying our scuba gear on our backs. I am not too worried about the walk there but I am afraid that the walk back with heavy, wet scuba gear will be difficult at best. In typical island fashion Jose Luis hears of our predicament and arranges for our pick up at Playa Gaviota which is a little closer. He manages the Inn at Playa Gaviota (Seagull beach) so there is no problem with the pick up. However, the dive boat has not gotten the message!! They went zipping by as we waited on the beach and we could see them turn in to the Casa O dock. Steve said “Oh well. We’ll just dive tomorrow.” but I decided to jog down the beach and signal the boat. I finally got their attention and back they came to pick us up.
The dives today were fantastic. We dove the same wreck that we went to last week but this week the current was completely different, barely running. We descended into the wreck and saw huge schools of fish, wrasse, sargeant major fish, and lots of angel fish. Large spotted eagle rays were circling the wreck. We even saw a small pod of 4 medium size rays. They are so incredibly graceful.
The second dive was equally fantastic. We dropped down onto a coral reef that was just teeming with sea life. We immediately spotted a medium sized turtle cruising lazily around the reef. Unlike many other turtles that we have seen, he or she didn’t seem particularly intimidated by us. The coral here is very brightly colored in reds, yellows, blacks, greens, and purples. The reef looks very healthy and you can clearly see where it has repaired itself following Wilma. Before the dive is over we spot another turtle, a good sized nurse shark, lots of baracuda, and some huge lobsters. Everyone comes back to the boat exhilarated by the experience.
Enrique is the dive master on this trip. We have dived with him before and love his energy. He is constantly smiling and making jokes. He is incredibly quick witted and has a sly sense of humor. We hope to dive with him again, especially when our friends Susan and Joe come to visit.
Back at the shack we are relaxing on our patio when we heard the unmistakable and nauseating sound of a scooter crash. Two young Americans have gone down in front of the apartment. We bring them in and clean them up. They are badly shaken, bruised, bloody but do not appear to have any broken bones. Thank goodness they were wearing helmets. The back tire of the scooter flatted and caused them to loose control. After they are all cleaned up Jerry (another resident of Isla Bonita) loads them into his golf cart and takes them back into town. I caution them to see the local doctor if they have any signs of infection and then wish I had gotten their names and hotel information so that I could check up on them. We find out that today is the young man’s mother’s birthday. Talk about a Karmic twist. I am glad that I was able to stand in for her to patch up her son.
Steve and I went up the street to Maria’s Kan Kin for dinner. We had an amazing table overlooking the channel with the lights of Cancun in the distance. Very romantic!! I ordered the trozo (grouper) and it was incredible! We will definitely go back for more of that.
We had a little party when we got back to the casa. Steve got a little cake in town and bought me a beautiful box made from a gourd that he bought at a little Mayan shop in town. Sitting on our balcony, listening to the gentle breezes of the island, and watching the lights of Cancun: what a wonderful way to spend a birthday.

No comments: