Monday, January 28, 2008

Isla Files 1.27

Yesterday was our first taste of Mardi Gras on Isla. We were sitting out by the pool and Veronica came running up the stairs from the bodega. She told me that the kids were going to be doing a street dance in front of the store in about 10 minutes. It was difficult for me to understand her but I definitely got the “kids dancing in the streets” part. Soon the entire street in front of the Casa was filled with families. Jose Luis’ son Vlad had a new horn on his car and he was clearing the way. Mom’s were busy helping children of all ages into costumes, adjusting this, straightening that. The little girls were especially priceless, dressed up as little pirate can-can dancers. A hatch-back with a generator strapped to the top and huge speakers in the back provided the music. The local motorcycle policeman even showed up to make sure that no one got too perturbed by the fact that this main street was temporarily transformed into a stage. It was great to see the one Mom with the bull horn and Veronica with her camcorder. Proud parents are the same everywhere!
I expanded my bread baking efforts today by adding oatmeal (avena) to the mix. It is great to bake bread here because you can watch the dough rise. My main problems today were running out of flour and figuring out a way to keep these tiny little ants out of the raising dough. Our little store was out of flour but not to worry. Nellie sent Jose Luis in to town to get some. She told me to come back in about 20 minutes. We don’t use plastic wrap here but I solved the ant problem by covering the dough with pot lids. I also think that I figured out the oven. The dial reads counter-clockwise from “5” to “1” with the 5 in the 12 position and the 1 located where you would find 3 on a clock. I think the 5 stands for 500, 4 for 400, and so on. I put the dial half way between the 4 and the 3 hoping that I had landed on 350. Since everything is in centigrade here and this stove is at least 25 years old, I can’t be sure but the bread turned out great so maybe I am on to something. This morning I shared some slices of bread with Jose Luis and with Judy and Bill. Judy says my bread is “to die for.” I will take that as high praise. Bill says he would like some bacon tomorrow.
Steve and I went in to town last night to check on the Mardi Gras festivities. The square was humming and it is the first time we have ever seen the doors to the church closed. We passed the local priest on the way in and he did not look at all happy. Alcoholism is a big problem on this island and I am sure that big street parties like this only make matters worse. The street dance in front of our casa is more my style.
Today we went beach combing on the east side of the island. We found some very nice shells and a 5-gallon plastic container, maybe a gas can. I attached it to my bike with my bungee cords and brought it home. I figured that Luis or Francisco (the 2 grounds keepers) may have a use for it. If not, it is near the trash container. Steve said I looked like a true island woman with tons of stuff strapped to my bike!

No comments: